Persephone Miel Fellowship for Crisis Reporting

Event Details

Persephone Miel Fellowship for Crisis Reporting

Time: November 1, 2010 at 6pm to February 1, 2011 at 7pm
Location: Any non-native English speaking media professionals
Website or Map: http://pulitzercenter.org/per…
Event Type: fellowship
Organized By: Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting
Latest Activity: Jun 2, 2011

Export to Outlook or iCal (.ics)

Event Description

The Persephone Miel Fellowship for Crisis Reporting is intended to give non-native English speaking media professionals the opportunity to reach audiences beyond their home countries on critical under-reported issues. The fellowship, overseen by the Pulitzer Center in collaboration with Internews, is designed to help media professionals outside of the United States do the kind of reporting they've always wanted to do, and enable them to bring their work to a broader international audience. The fellowship will benefit those with limited access to other fellowships or international distribution of their work.

Terms of travel grant

The Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting will provide a travel grant of $7500 for a reporting project on topics and regions of global importance, with an emphasis on issues that have gone unreported or under-reported in the mainstream American media. Specific grant terms are negotiated during the application process based on the scope of proposed work and intended outcomes. Payment of first half of the grant is disbursed prior to travel, upon receipt of required materials, and the second half on submission of principal work for publication/broadcast.

The Center will also work with the fellowship recipients to distribute the work across multiple platforms in the US to reach the widest possible audience. Projects with multi-media components that combine print/photography and video are strongly encouraged.

Eligibility

The Persephone Miel fellowships are open to all journalists, writers, photographers, radio producers or filmmakers; staff journalists as well as free-lancers who are non-native English speaking media professionals seeking to report from their home country.

Selection

The fellowship recipient will be selected by the Pulitzer Center in consultation with Internews. Selection will be based on the strength of the proposed topic and the strength of the applicant's work as demonstrated in their work samples. We are looking for projects that explore systemic issues in the applicants' native countries and that provide an overarching thesis, rather than individual spot-reports from the field.

Deadline: February 1, 2011

How to apply:

Applications should be sent to: mielfellowship@pulitzercenter.org

Applications must be received in English.

Applications should include the following in the body of the e-mail:

- A description of the proposed projectin 250 words or less
- A preliminary budget estimate, including a basic breakdown of costs. Travel grants cover hard costs associated with the reporting, please do not include stipends for the applicants. Fixer/translator/driver fees are acceptable
- Three links to samples of work in English if available online (if not available, please attach to the e-mail; video samples can be sent by mail to below address in DVD format)
- Three professional references. These can be either contact information, or letters of recommendation (can be attached or sent separately).
- As attachment: Curriculum vitae

Applications may also include a more detailed description of project but this will be considered as optional supplement only. The most important part of the submission is the 250-word summary.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

RSVP for Persephone Miel Fellowship for Crisis Reporting to add comments!

Join EJC - Journalism Community

Comment by Muhammad Sohail Altaf on February 6, 2011 at 22:11
i faced a lot of problem in last three month. thats why i didnt reply. now i am in lahore and want to get this opportunity. is there any chance now
Comment by Emma Brewin on December 6, 2010 at 9:41
Good luck everyone, let us know how you get on!!
0jwxp5lf3u8xd Comment by 0jwxp5lf3u8xd on November 22, 2010 at 12:39
emma, thts grt..media professionals from non-native english regions can make a communication bridge between the two..tht grt..looking forwar positively..
Comment by Tahir Naseem on November 12, 2010 at 6:55
I accept ur invitation and waitting positive reply.
Comment by Tahir Naseem on November 12, 2010 at 6:53
Its really very very important subject.I belong a backword area.We face crices and crices reporting.My suggession please provide us to join this session.
Comment by Irena on November 7, 2010 at 20:18
Challenging to open up a Pandora box and difficult to pick just one....
Thank you for the opportunity to apply.
Comment by Emma Brewin on November 4, 2010 at 11:18
How great if a Community member won this!
Comment by Güneş Ünsal on November 4, 2010 at 11:15
its really exciting and thank you for invitation. I hope I'll be able to find time to send something. thanks again.
Comment by irene fazio on November 1, 2010 at 14:08
exciting news! thankyou for share it! :)
Comment by Emma Brewin on November 1, 2010 at 11:21
Good luck all Community members!

Let us know how you get on. And don't forget to post any other interesting media related awards, events, fellowships etc up on the Community.

Emma
(Community Manager)

Attending (12)

Might attend (9)

Not Attending (1)

Latest Activity

atef nahass joined Emma Brewin's group
Thumbnail

European Journalism Centre

News, resources and other updates from independent non-profit media organisation the European Journalism Centre.See More
48 minutes ago
atef nahass joined Liliana Bounegru's group
Thumbnail

Data-Driven Journalism

Ten, even five years ago, the use of data as a basis for reporting was difficult and costly. Now, with a whole stack of tools to dig into ‘big data‘, join this group and contribute your thoughts on the emerging field of data driven journalism.See More
49 minutes ago
atef nahass updated their profile
51 minutes ago
Andrej Matisak posted a status
"Matisak's blog - More unity in the EU regarding sanctions against Russia? http://wp.me/pL6gx-1yU"
4 hours ago
"Matisak's blog - Malaysia's reaction on downing of MH-17 http://wp.me/pL6gx-1yN"
14 hours ago
"Matisak's blog - What's next for EU sanctions? How hard will be Russia hit? http://wp.me/pL6gx-1yL"
15 hours ago
Npong Balikawu Francis liked Npong Balikawu Francis's profile
yesterday
"Matisak's blog - Will NATO significantly increase its presence in CEE region? http://wp.me/pL6gx-1yH"
yesterday

EJC Journalism Seminars

© 2014   Created by Arne Grauls.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service