Information

Data-Driven Journalism

Ten, even five years ago, the use of data as a basis for reporting was difficult and costly. Now, with a whole stack of tools to dig into ‘big data‘, join this group and contribute your thoughts on the emerging field of data driven journalism.

Members: 179
Latest Activity: Jul 25

Group Aims

To facilitate discussions on Data Driven Journalism - tag your things with #ddj

#ddj

Discussion Forum

Data Journalism in Russia: Visually Sound, Lagging on Tools

Started by Valery Levchenko Oct 30, 2013. 0 Replies

Discussion on the state of data journalism in Russia took place yesterday at RIA Novosti's press center. Some 200 journalists, analysts and students watched the 'Journalism in the Age of Data'…Continue

Tags: #ddj

Data Journalism, Big Data - What About PR?

Started by Valery Levchenko Jul 3, 2013. 0 Replies

I have recently shared some ideas on how the trendy Big Data and Data Journalism topics could help improve Public Relations. Please, see my blog…Continue

Tags: PR

RIA Novosti Releases a Russian Translation of The Data Journalism Handbook

Started by Hanna McLean. Last reply by Faruque Iqbal Apr 5, 2013. 1 Reply

Great news everyone! The first ever translation of the Data Journalism Handbook has been released. If you would like more information, please visit the…Continue

Tags: ddj, Russian, Russia, handbook', journalism

"Flag it! - Using digital tools to map environmental issues"

Started by Diana Lungu Feb 27, 2013. 0 Replies

The European Youth Press is currently looking for 24 young environmental journalists to take part in the following Training sessions of the project:Sao Paulo (Brazil): from the 20th to the 26th of May 2013 (12 participants involved);in Lagos…Continue

Tags: training, reporting, youth, data, ddj

The European Journalism Centre announces journalism grants for innovation in development reporting

Started by Hanna McLean Jan 25, 2013. 0 Replies

Hold on to your hats everyone, I've got some good news: The European Journalism Centre is proud to announce that it has received financial support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to advance journalistic coverage of issues related to…Continue

A Day in the Life of a Data Journalist

Started by Hanna McLean Oct 16, 2012. 0 Replies

Follow along as Pulitzer Prize winner Sarah Cohen discusses her career, working with data and difficulties along the way. See here. …Continue

Tags: media, 'Sarah, Cohen', journalism, ddj

Open Interests Europe Hackathon - London, 24-25 November

Started by Hanna McLean Oct 15, 2012. 0 Replies

How EU money is spent is an issue that concerns everyone who pays taxes to the EU. As the influence of Brussels lobbyists grows, it is increasingly important to draw the connections…Continue

Tags: event, London, EU, money, Europe

Tips for Working with Numbers in the News

Started by Hanna McLean Aug 27, 2012. 0 Replies

Hey guys,In case you missed it, be sure to check out this great article about tips for working with numbers in the news. Freelance…Continue

Tags: numbers, Data Journalism Handbook, journalists, to', 'how

Knight News Challenge Round 2 Registration Open

Started by Hanna McLean Jun 12, 2012. 0 Replies

The Knight News Challenge accelerates media innovation by funding breakthrough ideas in news and information. Winners receive a share of $5 million in funding and support from Knight’s network of influential peers and advisors to help advance their…Continue

Tags: award, competition, data driven journalism, contest, Knight News Challenge

The Data Journalism Awards featured winner is: Riot Rumours

Started by Hanna McLean Jun 11, 2012. 0 Replies

Hey everyone!I hope you are all doing well :) If you get the chance, I recommend you go and check out the Riot Rumours article that I came across today. It's really worth the read. Here's a small excerpt of the article to give you an idea of what…Continue

Tags: Twitter, rumours, social media, digital, media

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Data-Driven Journalism to add comments!

Comment by claudia costa on December 23, 2011 at 18:46

I am just reading the ddj handbook and find it sooo inspiring and well written. Thanks for the very interesting project, willing to learn more about it soon!

Comment by Liliana Bounegru on September 28, 2011 at 16:21
Data journalism seminar in Finland on 29 Sept. more details here: http://apoikola.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/day-of-the-data-journalism/
Comment by Liliana Bounegru on September 20, 2011 at 14:06

Nicolas Kayser-Bril's report from the first EJC/OKF data journalism workshop on EU spending online on DataDrivenJournalism.net!

Comment by Tommy Kaas on August 29, 2011 at 11:46

Thanks for mentioning it Liliana. At the moment we only do the web scraping training in Danish. Would anyone be interested in a similar training course in English?

We use Python (free software) and you don't need to know anything about programming to participate.

Comment by Liliana Bounegru on August 29, 2011 at 11:39
For Danish speakers here is a course for journalists on Python for scraping in Copenhagen: http://www.dje.dk/FMPro?-DB=kurser.dje&-Lay=14&-Format=kurs...
Comment by Nicola Hughes on July 8, 2011 at 14:24
I know this is very UK centric but I've set up a twitter account, @OJCstatements, which tweets out the statements by the Office for Judicial Complaints in the UK. It is a panel which rules on reprimands for judges regarding complaints as to their personal conduct. The OJC does not have the power to look into their previous judgements so I figured it's good data to put out into the public sphere. You can read the blog post here. For everyone in other parts of the world who might like to crowd source information on the web let me know and I can try and get it into ScraperWiki and then onto twitter. You can pick the hashtag and follow it for any leads that might arise.
Comment by José Casadei on June 17, 2011 at 2:05

Hi, Nicola, thanks for your suggestions. Many Eyes is wonderful and easy to handle. Tableau seems to be better, but more complex comparing to Many Eyes (and i've already notice that that is a small and fast course on the site). I wil try to learn how to use Tableau! Thanks.

Comment by Nicola Hughes on June 16, 2011 at 19:46
@Jose, Many Eyes by IBM http://www-958.ibm.com/software/data/cognos/manyeyes/ and Tablau http://www.tableausoftware.com/public worth having a go at.
Comment by José Casadei on June 10, 2011 at 3:52
Hi, Mirko! For a beginner (that is my situation), what types of courses (or what softwares or tools) you could suggest so that a journalist could learn how to produce effective and interesting data-visualizations? tks
Comment by Mirko Lorenz on June 9, 2011 at 18:28

@benno Hansen. Yes and no. Partially, because what we see here is the result of the Gapminder acquisition that happened already like two, three years ago.

Anybody interested in telling stories with data will the Google site above and quite a few other tools (Google Refine, Google Code Playground, Google Visualizations) and they are a great start. This is perfect and relatively easy for journalists to just get their hands dirty in data. Moving forward, other, even more powerful tools are the next step. Example is R Studio. 

Members (179)

Latest Activity

Andrej Matisak posted a status
"Matisak's blog - Britain in the EU and its allies http://wp.me/pL6gx-1Bk"
7 hours ago
Andrej Matisak posted a status
"Matisak's blog - America used Nazis during the Cold War. Does it still mean something? http://wp.me/pL6gx-1Bf"
yesterday
Eliana van de Craats Lima posted discussions
yesterday
Eliana van de Craats Lima posted a status
"Ecuador President condemns Jerusalem terror attack after Karen Mosquera's (22) death. She was there to convert to Judaism."
Monday
Ajay Kumar liked Eliana van de Craats Lima's discussion Who Praised the Killing of an Innocent Baby in Jerusalem? The Palestinian Authority did it!
Monday
Eliana van de Craats Lima joined Emma Brewin's group
Thumbnail

European Journalism Centre

News, resources and other updates from independent non-profit media organisation the European Journalism Centre.See More
Sunday
Eliana van de Craats Lima posted a discussion

Who Praised the Killing of an Innocent Baby in Jerusalem? The Palestinian Authority did it!

The Palestinian authority's advisor to President Mahmoud Abbas praised it and the Palestinian authority official website confirmed it as one can see from the video they uploaded on their page (see picture here below), with the title in Arabic saying, Jerusalem martyr Abdul Rhaman available here on the page of the Ministry of Information from the State of Palestine and…See More
Saturday
Eliana van de Craats Lima liked Ludwik Kowalski's discussion Conflicts in Russia
Oct 24

© 2014   Created by Arne Grauls.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service