Index is looking for a new Chief Executive, following the announcement that John Kampfner is to leave the organisation in Spring 2012. After his three and a half year tenure, Index has become one of the world’s leading free expression organisations. The new Chief Executive will have the energy and vision to build on the organisation’s recent successes and take Index forward as the voice of free expression around the world.
Hours: Full time, some travel and flexible working required
Reporting to Index Chair Jonathan Dimbleby, the Chief Executive is responsible for setting, co-ordinating and implementing the organisation’s strategy. You will be the public face of the organisation, raising Index’s international profile and building relationships with key stakeholders, including the media, legal experts, policy makers, human rights NGOs, funders and other partners. You will develop the organisation’s policies and set the agenda around the increasingly complex area of free expression. You will have strategic responsibility for HR, funding and financial issues as well as direct line management responsibility for members of the senior management team.
The successful applicant will be expected to demonstrate the following:
• A commitment to freedom of expression
• A prominent public profile with excellent contacts
• Management experience at a senior level
• Strong communication and media presentation skills
• The ability to build relationships and networks with stakeholders
• Experience in one or more of the following: fundraising, advocacy or policy setting
• Knowledge of freedom of expression issues in relation to the digital world
The following knowledge, skills and experience are desirable:
• Experience in addressing global freedom of expression issues
• Experience of working in complex international environments
• Knowledge of the civil liberties/human rights sector
• Knowledge of media and/or law
• Change management experience
• Knowledge of foreign languages
How to apply
Send your CV and a one-page document setting out what you believe to be the priorities and challenges for Index over the next three years and how you would meet them. This document must be no more than 400 words. Please send both documents together (PDF or Word) to David Sewell, Finance and HR Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
For queries, please contact David Sewell at email@example.com or 020 7324 2522. All enquiries will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Deadline for applications is 10am, Jan 25 2012.
Interviews will take place at the London headquarters on or around Feb 2/3, 2012. Applicants will be called for interview on/around Jan 27, 2012.