I am a New Zealander living in Belgium, and I am stunned by the fact that this country has been without a government for 229 ...

In 2009, they say Iraq took 289 days to form a government.  It seems possible that Belgium will reach that target as solutions to the formation of a government seems impossible, based on reports heard here.

And there you have a small fact about Belgium, although so far, this situation wouldn't affect your travel here  :-)

Tags: Belgium

Views: 85

Replies to This Discussion

...and to my knowledge this situation doesn't affect significantly lives of the people of Belgium too :) I'm not at all anarchist but I'm deeply impressed that a nation may function brilliantly without a government! Probably thta's because the previous governments have done too well their jobs :) Congrats to all the Wallonians and Flemish and other people in Belgium! Great!
As for Russia -  we always so much of government... And it affects not only the travellers but also the Russians themselves... Not having Moscow major for 2 weeks we got stabbed by new educational rules signed by temporary governor Resin. I am sure most of us would gladly trade it to govenmentless Belgium and its education :)))
:)

In Lebanon as well .... Every then and a while we are facing a governmental crisis ... only here we are unable to act like the wallonians and the flemish since the situation escalates fast and there is unrest and violence :S

a confessional and sectarian - sunni chia , christian , druze ....

the process is not at all democratic ... beside its affecting our economical life :s

It's not bad, Antoaneta.  So far, we barely notice the lack of a government, although it pains me to be paying the massive taxes we pay. But I'm not sure, given the current stalemate, that we will be able to form a government. 

There is that, Irina.  Belgium is really good to its people.  Better than New Zealand.

Thalia, I see your point.  Maybe the repression of outward emotions here is a good thing :-)  The Belgians have been so invaded that they are good at operating around and over and under a government radar.  I suspect they could go on indefinitely but I'm no expert, just a curious observer.

We 2 have been soooooooo invaded through history and till recently ( in all forms that invasion can take in our modern times: mandate, interference, direct authority.....)

but im gonna start to believe that Middle Eastern are more affected by their emotions, hence they are more vulnerable :)

Your world fascinates me though, Thalia.  Growing up in New Zealand meant I was a slow-learner when it came to the Middle East, as the news sources there were fairly appalling but now ... these last 11 years, I have been fascinated and reading as fast as I can  :-)
hehehe ... glad to know :) Feel free to ask whtever occurs to ur mind ... and ill be more than happy to answer ... off course within the limits of my knowledge :)
Much appreciated, and thank you, I will  :-)

RSS

Latest Activity

Semin Sezerer is now friends with Arben LAGRETA, Jayantakumar Das, MOHAMED MOURSY ABOU EL ABBAS and 5
yesterday
Qamar-ul-Munir liked Emma Brewin's group Investigative Journalism
yesterday
Profile IconQamar-ul-Munir and Oben Özaydın joined Emma Brewin's group
Thumbnail

Investigative Journalism

"Seeking to tell the documented truth, critically and in depth, without fear or favour"
yesterday
Oben Özaydın updated their profile
yesterday
Joseph Muwowo posted a discussion

Story Suggetions to Satellite Channels

I would like to find out if any one has an idea about any Satellite Channel that would be interested in News / Current Affairs and short Documentary Stories from Africa. See More
yesterday
Eliana van de Craats Lima posted a group
Thumbnail

Peace and Journalism

Here, journalists and media reporters, editors and broadcasters choose to report only relevant stories that focus on non-violent responses, innovative ideas and minds that search for a better world, and welcome only the positive insights. We refuse to cover hatred but allow those that choose for a constructive dialogue.If there is a conflict we look for the causes, and we write about actors which try to find solutions. We want to show the world that journalists aren't part of conflicts, but we…See More
yesterday
Katrina Wood posted a blog post

Criminalization of defamation: 'press freedom' or judicial integrity?

In a web search for defamation, one sees various articles mentioning the criminalization of defamation: in a variety of countries, such as eastern European or Russian countries, or Zimbabwe. Various human rights organizations or NGOs are reported to have signed protests against recent attempts to re-introduce criminal defamation into law in some of them. It is often argued as an attack on press freedom.The European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) does not apparently support criminalization of…See More
yesterday
Syed Shukur Ali (Shuvo) posted a blog post

Bangladesh tops 32 nations in climate risk chart

DHAKA, Oct 30, 2014-Bangladesh, Sierra Leone and South Sudan led a ranking of countries facing extreme risks as a result of climate change, exacerbating the chances of civil conflict, according to a study by UK researcher Maplecroft.A total of 32 countries out of 196 surveyed face that level of threat, the Bath, England-based analyst said today in an e-mailed statement, the study said.Nigeria, Chad, Haiti, Ethiopia, the Philippines, the Central African Republic and Eritrea rounded out 10 most…See More
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Arne Grauls.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service