I am a New Zealander living in Belgium, and I am stunned by the fact that this country has been without a government for 229 ...

In 2009, they say Iraq took 289 days to form a government.  It seems possible that Belgium will reach that target as solutions to the formation of a government seems impossible, based on reports heard here.

And there you have a small fact about Belgium, although so far, this situation wouldn't affect your travel here  :-)

Tags: Belgium

Views: 76

Replies to This Discussion

...and to my knowledge this situation doesn't affect significantly lives of the people of Belgium too :) I'm not at all anarchist but I'm deeply impressed that a nation may function brilliantly without a government! Probably thta's because the previous governments have done too well their jobs :) Congrats to all the Wallonians and Flemish and other people in Belgium! Great!
As for Russia -  we always so much of government... And it affects not only the travellers but also the Russians themselves... Not having Moscow major for 2 weeks we got stabbed by new educational rules signed by temporary governor Resin. I am sure most of us would gladly trade it to govenmentless Belgium and its education :)))
:)

In Lebanon as well .... Every then and a while we are facing a governmental crisis ... only here we are unable to act like the wallonians and the flemish since the situation escalates fast and there is unrest and violence :S

a confessional and sectarian - sunni chia , christian , druze ....

the process is not at all democratic ... beside its affecting our economical life :s

It's not bad, Antoaneta.  So far, we barely notice the lack of a government, although it pains me to be paying the massive taxes we pay. But I'm not sure, given the current stalemate, that we will be able to form a government. 

There is that, Irina.  Belgium is really good to its people.  Better than New Zealand.

Thalia, I see your point.  Maybe the repression of outward emotions here is a good thing :-)  The Belgians have been so invaded that they are good at operating around and over and under a government radar.  I suspect they could go on indefinitely but I'm no expert, just a curious observer.

We 2 have been soooooooo invaded through history and till recently ( in all forms that invasion can take in our modern times: mandate, interference, direct authority.....)

but im gonna start to believe that Middle Eastern are more affected by their emotions, hence they are more vulnerable :)

Your world fascinates me though, Thalia.  Growing up in New Zealand meant I was a slow-learner when it came to the Middle East, as the news sources there were fairly appalling but now ... these last 11 years, I have been fascinated and reading as fast as I can  :-)
hehehe ... glad to know :) Feel free to ask whtever occurs to ur mind ... and ill be more than happy to answer ... off course within the limits of my knowledge :)
Much appreciated, and thank you, I will  :-)

RSS

Latest Activity

Andrej Matisak posted a status
"Matisak's blog - The West (the US, the EU) vs Russia: A new Cold War?"
yesterday
Npong Balikawu Francis posted a blog post
yesterday
SAADIA SEHAR posted blog posts
yesterday
Dr Richard Rooke posted a blog post

EUISS: reflection and the media.

The EU Institute for Security Studies EUISS: reflection and the media.Alert 17 from the EUISS concerns Ukraine from the perspective of China. Written by Camille Brugier, Nicu Popescu, it shows careful, tidy analysis, illustrating the competing and sometimes contradictory forces at work on…See More
yesterday
Moses posted a blog post

Development and State-building in South Sudan.

By Apollo Kut AlierDevelopment and State-building in South Sudan.28 March 2014 at 21:58There are a few things the government of South Sudan cannot risk to grapple with. One is the stance it adopts towards the so-called rebels; the armed men and women who have receded to the woods in defiance of Juba. Their misgivings may be ill-placed, and at times even wild,but that is no reason to ignore them.The government is better off opening doors of dialogue with this malcontents than seeking to bomb…See More
yesterday
Shaban I. Lulela posted photos
yesterday
Dr. John Zammit posted a photo
yesterday
Moses Mwape posted photos
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Arne Grauls.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service